Re: when will we finally throw away binary uploads (Re: Please upgrade your build environment when you are affected by transition

On 14/02/14 08:13, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 09:10:15PM +0000, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
>> On 13 February 2014 16:13, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I want all binary packages to be rebuild on *.debian.org hosts. Everything
>>> else is just an ugly workaround.
>>>

>> All that's needed, I guess, is for someone to write a patch to dak /
>> wanna-build ... and schedule _all.deb builds on amd64 ?
>> Or if arch-restricted package, on one of the arches it will build on?
>
> The LP folks wanted to sync on this. I also wrote this for Debile, I
> called it arch affinity (I think LP uses the same name). We should pick
> a name and use it for all 3.
>
> I also think it should be a static arch (rather then any arch that
> can build it), so that things are a bit easier to duplicate and debug.
> Might as well.

Right, "arch affinity" is the term we use for the desirable feature of
being able to override the architecture that by default builds
architecture-independent packages ("nominated arch-indep" in LP
parlance). We have https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/217427
about supporting that. It's simple to fix, but has mostly been blocked
on needing to decide on a field name with other interested parties. It
sounds like we should really just work something out together -- this
has been going on long enough :)

(There are still some cases for which the semantics of the Architecture
field are unclear, even with arch affinity.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/1063188 is one such example:
hhsuite is "Architecture: amd64 all", our nominated arch-indep is i386,
so the arch-indep bits don't get built. Presumably once we have an arch
affinity field we can assume that its absence means we can just pick one
of the buildable archs and do indep there, but wanna-build, LP and other
implementations should probably decide on the same behaviour here. Other
than that it all seems like mostly a naming thing.)

William.