Re: OpenRC

On 11/02/14 15:19, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Yes, that's my proposal, and as well deprecate sysv-rc in the favor of
> OpenRC, and allow OpenRC runscript files *only* if there's support for
> the default init system (because this way the default init system will
> not use them, so the runscript format is possible).

I don't plan to use OpenRC myself (my Debian 7 machines run systemd
already, and I think OpenRC is likely to be a dead-end in the long term)
but I don't intend to prevent its use either, and I'm glad people are
taking the "do the work" approach to it.

Wasn't there some plan to have OpenRC look for its "runscripts" in a
parallel directory alongside init.d as well as in init.d itself, and
treat /etc/openrc-init.d/foo (or whatever) as a replacement for
/etc/init.d/foo? Then you could just say "OpenRC runscripts go in
/etc/openrc-init.d, LSB-style init scripts[1] go in /etc/init.d" and
everything Just Works.

If you're keen on using OpenRC, I would strongly recommend that
approach. systemd ignores /etc/init.d/foo if it finds a corresponding
foo.service in its own directory, and that feature has made it easy to
add systemd units (.service files) per-package without needing much
special coordination. Upstart doesn't do that (/etc/init.d/foo has to be
patched to not do anything if it detects that init is Upstart and
/etc/init/foo.conf exists) which has given it much more complicated
Policy implications.

If LSB-style init scripts disappear completely after jessie, OpenRC
runscripts could in principle move to /etc/init.d at that point,
although I don't really see much benefit in that.

[1] i.e. the ones that work equally well (or equally badly, depending
    on your point of view) with sysv-rc, file-rc, insserv, Upstart,
    systemd, OpenRC etc.