Re: dpkg-dev: please reject native/non-native version when building native/non-native source packages

Wookey <wookey <at> wookware.org> writes:

> Do I understand this correctly - that it prevents a package
> cross-binutils-0.1 to generate binaries called
> binutils-arm-linux-gnueabi-2.24-3
> binutils-arm-linux-gnueabihf-2.24-3

Actually, these packages will be buggy usually: debhelper uses
the source version number to decide whether to install the Debian
changelog as native (changelog.gz) or nōn-native (changelog.Debian.gz)
file, which makes lintian complain.

I’ve got a source package to “build” multiple Firefox® binary packages
(which are, really, just the Mozilla™ builds with nssckbi.so symlinked
to the system-wide one) locally, on which running lintian points out
this problem. I’m not sure whether there are other subtle differences
between native and nōn-native packages like this, but they’ll be buggy.
(I’ll probably just convert the source package to 3.0 with multiple
orig tarballs some day, but that did not exist back when it was initially
needed at $workplace.)

So, be careful.

bye,
//mirabilos