Re: dpkg-dev: please reject native/non-native version when building native/non-native source packages

+++ Dimitri John Ledkov [2014-02-04 13:30 +0000]:

Do I understand this correctly - that it prevents a package
cross-binutils-0.1 to generate binaries called
binutils-arm-linux-gnueabi-2.24-3
binutils-arm-linux-gnueabihf-2.24-3

unless cross-binutils-0.1 is package format 1.0 rather than 3.0?

Doing the above is the right way to build packages which are
Built-Using: binutils (=2.24-3)

Making the binutils-<triplet> binary packages have 0.1 version numbers
would be unhelpful and cause issues with 3rd party installs (newer
packages with smaller version numbers).

I guess requiring this to be done as a 1.0 format package is OK within
debian, but derivatives or anyone who needs to hack around a bit would
be better off if it was a 3.0 package, and that's the format I prefer to
use, as general good practice.

So unless I'm confused the above seems like a reasonable use-case where
this new restriction is problematic.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/