Re: Call to fork

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 01:29:47AM +0000, Sam Hartman wrote:
> In all seriousness.
> Forking, or creating a Debian downstream because you'd like a different
> boot approach sounds like exactly the sort of constructive approach that
> will help you solve your problems and get an operating system you're
> happy with.

For me there is a lot more reason to fork:

- Dropping Architectures
- Gnome3 Bullshit
- systemd

Debian is not as useful as it was a couple years back. I started with
debian because of m68k and later contributed the first mips and mipsel
packages and hosted the first buildds for mips and mipsel.

Debian has lost me since - The discussion about dropping and factual
dropping of architectures - the Gnome3 stuff which is/was far from
production quality (e.g. #698340, #698781), brokeness in debian
installer (#712879) and now the systemd stuff.

systemd hurts my minimalistic approach and beeing non portable is
an absolute show stopper for me.

Stuff which used to work gets broken and nobody cares.

Probably i am an oldtimer and should switch to Windows or something
(Which i never used).

For me Debian over the last 5 years diverted far away from what i saw
as my Desktop and Server OS.

People in my surrounding switch to Mint, Ubuntu and whatever and i have
no arguments to get them back because i also fight on a daily basis.

So Debian - You lost me

Just some feelings about my 15+ Year involvement with Debian.

Flo
PS: I dont think a fork would really work out but if some people would
listen to the noise the systemd issue makes. IMHO its not about systemd
per se. The past decisions about architectures and now systemd splits
off some parts of our userbase. For me Debian has long lost the
"Universal" in "Universal Operating System".
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f@zz.de