Re: Call to fork

Excerpts from Sam Hartman's message of 2014-02-10 17:29:47 -0800:

>     debianfan>    I would like to propose forking Debian if the ctte
>     debianfan> committee selects systemd
>
> It's with great hesitation that I jump in here, and I know what I'm
>  doing is wrong.
> I hope I've earned enough credibility over the years in the project  to
>  make a constructive but off-topic comment.
>

> In all seriousness.
> Forking, or creating a Debian downstream because you'd like a different
> boot approach sounds like exactly the sort of constructive approach that
> will help you solve your problems and get an operating system you're
> happy with.
>
> Many people have created Debian derivatives.  Debian is great for that
> sort of thing.
>
> We even work with people who create Debian derivatives on a regular
> basis.
>
> In this instance I'm quite positive that if interesting technical work
> is done on such a fork several Debian developers will be delighted to
> discuss what parts of it can be merged back in.
>
> Deriving from Debian is a great way to provide a custom experience.
> If you find that our boot strategy doesn't work for you and you cannot
> make the improvements you wish within Debian, then such a fork would be
> a great way to constructively help us all out.
>
> however, the Debian TC list is not the right place to plan or ask about
> how to create a Debian derivative.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a fork, or even another distro. Could
just be a pure blend:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends

As long as maintainers in Debian accept upstart / openrc / sysvinit /
etc. scripts from the maintainers of the "not-systemd" blend.. we can
all live in harmony.