Re: GnuTLS in Debian

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 10:15:02PM +0100, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
> > Most upstream authors that I've spoken with don't believe that licensing
> > crosses the shared library ABI boundary, that the shared OpenSSL library
> > and the GPLv2 program that calls it remain separate works, and therefore
> > there is no need for OpenSSL to meet the GPLv2 requirements since the
> > binary as distributed is not a derivative work of both projects.  Instead,
> > the projects are combined at runtime by the end user, who doesn't have to
> > meet any redistributability requirements of either license.

> > The FSF is a notable exception to this.

> One can create a shim library implementing the interface that does
> nothing and also provide headers stripped of comments (including
> parameter names). Then one can use that shim headers and library to
> create a program that uses the given interface.

> However none of the copyrightable parts of the library in question were
> used during this process, unless the interface was copyrightable. Does
> the FSF believe this?

No, what the FSF believes is that you should comply with the terms of the
license they've written, which states that you can only distribute a GPL
binary together with the libraries it uses if those libraries are
distributed under the same license terms, *because they say so*.

The GPL requirement about dependency licensing does not rely on the legal
definition of derivative works.  So arguments that a GPL program that links
against OpenSSL is not a derivative work of OpenSSL are missing the point.