Re: GnuTLS in Debian

On 12/28/2013 06:09 PM, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> [131228 08:30]:
>> don't think it does anymore, especially seeing that almost no upstream
>> author cares about Debian's nit-picking on this particular issue. We're
>> just beating ourselves for no valid reason.
>
> Almost no upstream author cares about licensing at all. The mayority of
> them has no problems giving self-contradictionary terms. Distributing
> stuff with no license at all. Or simply copying other people's code
> without looking at the license or even without including any license
> statement or even copyright notice.

The licensing careless attitude of some upstreams is a reality in some
cases, however I am having a hard time to generalize it like this, and
be take it as a valid point for this debate. Most upstream authors who
cares about licensing, do not agree with Debian's view about GPL and
OpenSSL incompatibility, and this is what counts.

> Debian is no corporation that can just willy-nilly copy stuff around
> without caring for the law and hoping noone will find out or just
> pay the authors off if they find out.

You are writing this just as if we're going to have a trial because of
the issue we're discussing. This will *NOT* happen.

> And our users are not really
> helped if the software they depended on suddenly is no longer available
> because noone cared for the license before.

Exactly what software will be "no longer available" if we decide to
revert our (IMO wrong) interpretation about the OpenSSL & GPL license?
This makes no sense to me.

Cheers,

Thomas