Re: Role of Release Goals

* Niels Thykier (niels@thykier.net) [131215 12:36]:
>   In practise, it has not worked out so well.  In my experience, many
> of the Wheezy release goals became "second-rate" goals - we simply
> failed to follow up on those goals as we promised, we would.  To me,
> release goals became "that outstanding job we never had time for"[1].

Basically, release goals came to existence because in the past people
tried to force incredible many things on us as "release blocker" which
then ended as "impossible to release anymore with so many things".
(Because it had been argued before that anything which is not a
release blocker and is a change is only severity wishlist and can't be
NMUed. Things moved on, so perhaps this isn't so relevant anymore
anyways.)

For this reason we decided that anything which is no real hard must
can be tried to be implemented as release goal (which means bugs are
important, and still can be NMUed by the same policies as release
blocking bugs). If people manage to resolve a release goal - good. If
not, the release still doesn't fail.

Andi