Re: Role of Release Goals (Was: Release sprint results - team changes, auto-rm and arch status)

On 01/12/13 at 20:38 +0000, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Lucas Nussbaum said:
> > On 01/12/13 at 17:53 +0000, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > > Can you explain why you think it would be a good idea to remove the
> > > power to decide their own goals from a team, and why you think it
> > > would be good for Debian to have one team drive another team's
> > > goals?  This is so different to how we usually work that it seems
> > > jarring.
> >
> > Release goals are usually achieved by contributors working on one
> > specific goal, not by the release team (= the release team doesn't
> > actively fix packages for release goals).
>
> Huh.  My impression from watching the last several releases was that the
> release team was a lot more involved than that in actually doing the
> work of meeting release goals, and not just a note keeper for someone
> else's pet project.

My memory might fail me. Could you provide an/some examples?
Also, even if some release team members contributed to achieving release
goals, are you sure that this was really done with the release team hat?
As a counter-example, half of the Lintian maintainers are or were
members of the release team at some point, but I don't think that the
release team ever claimed that maintaining Lintian was part of their
normal duties.

> > If you think that the release team should have the power to decide on
> > release goals, how should this draft delegation be changed to include
> > that?
>
> I would presumably put something like:
> * Release Team members decide on the release goals for stable releases

I think that a delegation would need to be a bit more specific in
defining what "release goals" are, and what it means to have a goal
labelled as "release goal". At least for me, the current definition of
"release goal" is rather unclear.

Lucas