Re: Role of Release Goals (Was: Release sprint results - team changes, auto-rm and arch status)

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 05:40:35PM +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>, 2013-11-29, 12:01:
> >What do you propose as a mechanism for agreeing to a reduced NMU
> >delay for archive-wide changes?

> My proposal is to realize that reduced delay for archive-wide
> changes is not needed.

> Seriously, such changes will take months or years anyway, so what
> does reducing a 10-day delay buy you?

It buys you being able to finish in months, instead of in years.

It buys you not having to track dozens of in-flight NMUs in parallel,
letting you spend more of your time working on improving Debian instead of
doing paperwork.

It sets an appropriate project-wide expectation that certain NMUs are
sanctioned, so people (including new developers, NMs, or new contributors)
will feel supported in working on such tasks instead of being afraid to
stick their necks out.