Re: Please remove the libfontconfig NMU from the delayed incoming

control: affects -1 src:poppler

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 3:56 AM, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> I fully agree with Adrian that your “fix” is absolutely incorrect.

Thanks for the feedback.  I've canceled the nmu.

> It will temporarily make xpdf work again, and break many other packages
> that have been built against the newer fontconfig.

Note that poppler also got hit with a similar issue once it was
rebuilt against fontconfig 2.11 (bug #730112), so the impact is
slightly larger than xpdf.  Rebuilding poppler against fontconfig with
pthreads disabled (via my proposed patch) solves that problem as well.

I saw another "Assertion ... failed!" bug report lately, but don't
recall which package that was in, which may also be due to the same
underlying problem.

> Since the actual bug lies in xpdf, please update xpdf and I’ll add the
> relevant Breaks in fontconfig.

I think some effort may be appropriate to make sure there are no
mistakes/bugs in fontconfig's recent conversion to pthreads.  At the
same time, we'll continue to look into solutions for poppler/xpdf.

Best wishes,
Mike