Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)

On Wed, 2013-09-18 at 14:49 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ben Hutchings writes ("Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)"):
> > Example from sgt-puzzles:
> >
> > override_dh_auto_clean:
> > 	! [ -f Makefile ] || $(MAKE) clean
> > 	$(MAKE) -f Makefile.doc clean
> > 	if [ -d .git ]; then				\
> > 		git checkout HEAD $(AUTOGEN_FILES);	\
> > 	else						\
> > 		rm -f $(AUTOGEN_FILES);			\
> > 	fi
> > 	rm -f po
> > 	dh_clean debian/substvars gamedesc.txt version2.def
>
> OMG WTF BBQ
>
> Although I can see that it will work, and work with dgit too.  Hmmm.
> Maybe my initial reaction is overblown and I should be thinking "neat
> hack".

What I should really do here is to stop bothering with upstream tarballs
and use the upstream branch (converted with git-svn) which doesn't
include those generated files.  But NMUers will find it difficult to
update the git-svn branch and dgit doesn't fix that.  And in the general
case even that may not be an option (there might be no public VCS, or
upstream might have committed the generated files).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.