Re: Replacing a binary package by another one(was: Communication issue?)

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 12:55:46PM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> [Norbert Preining]
> > On Di, 03 Sep 2013, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> > > texlive-lang-european?  It doesn't look like it to me (no Breaks or
> > > Conflicts), but I haven't actually tried it.

> > conflicts there are, texlive-base conflicts with all the old packages.

> I misspoke.  There is a Conflicts in texlive-base, but what is probably
> needed is Provides in texlive-lang-european.  As I understand it, that
> will prompt apt to DTRT on upgrade.

Unless apt has gotten smarter recently (which is not out of the question),
no.  It's a common misconception that apt will care about Provides/Replaces
for selecting new packages on dist-upgrade, but while it seems like a nice
idea, TTBOMK it's never been implemented.