Re: Looking for ideas for merging a micro package...

On 09/03/2013 02:17 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> writes:
>
>> The fact is that the FTP team comment was correct: it is really a small
>> package. So, my question was really open (I do not know every package in
>> Debian), in case someone has a useful suggestion (that does not involve
>> to rewrite the script).
>
> moreutils is another possible home for such useful scripts, although I'm
> not sure if Joey is interested in accepting Ruby scripts.  I think
> currently it's C and Perl.

Thank you for pointing this out.  I just recently uploaded a script,
splitpatch, that I argued should be accepted as-is (i.e. as a "micro
package") because of the dependency on ruby.

Given that ruby is becoming more popular for scripting, what do folks
think about a catch-all package for ruby scripts?  I don't have a good
feel for what the right trade-off is between:

* reducing load on the archive by consolidating these tiny packages

* making good use of maintainer's time, the implication being that
coordinating multiple (otherwise unrelated?) ruby scripts is going to be
more of a time commitment for the maintainer(s)

and

* making it easy (or even possible) for users to find these scripts when
the package name doesn't match upstream

Discuss... (and thanks in advance for constructive ideas)
tony