DebianBootstrap supported in which Debian suites?

Quoting Paul Wise (2013-06-07 05:17:46)
> I would suggest the approach taken by the recent GSoC projects related
> to bootstrapping new ports. Multi-stage builds. First stage without
> docs and second stage with docs. Only the second stage gets uploaded
> to Debian.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianBootstrap

Above wiki page seems to recommend using <!stage1> syntack in
Build-depends: lines which I believe is not supported as far back as
oldstable (if in any official Debian suite at all), and references
bug#661538 and #661537 still open.

What to do *today* to express bootstrapping alternatives to circumvent
circular build-dependencies?

My concrete need is simpler than some, as it needs no special flags at
build-time: I want librdf-trine-perl to enable most possible optional
parts of its testsuite, including some parts which themselves
build-depend on librdf-trine-perl.

What I will do for now is to just add those extra build-dependencies and
add a note to README.source which build-dependencies can be manually
dropped in a custom bootstrap build.  I realize how painful it is for
those needing to bootstrap, but sadly neither DebianBootstrap nor
CircularBuildDependencies provide concrete help for package developers
at the moment, it seems.

 - Jonas