Re: DebianBootstrap supported in which Debian suites?

+++ Jonas Smedegaard [2013-06-07 17:24 +0200]:
> Quoting Paul Wise (2013-06-07 05:17:46)
> > I would suggest the approach taken by the recent GSoC projects related
> > to bootstrapping new ports. Multi-stage builds. First stage without
> > docs and second stage with docs. Only the second stage gets uploaded
> > to Debian.
> >
> > http://wiki.debian.org/DebianBootstrap
>
> Above wiki page seems to recommend using <!stage1> syntack in
> Build-depends: lines which I believe is not supported as far back as
> oldstable (if in any official Debian suite at all), and references
> bug#661538 and #661537 still open.

Correct. It is not supported in any debian suite yet. We do expect it
to be supported in jessie, but probably with a revised syntax. (See
http://debian.2.n7.nabble.com/build-profile-syntax-ideas-td2918264.html)
We are trying to finalise this now (stalled on me currently for which
I apologise to those with an interest).

> What to do *today* to express bootstrapping alternatives to circumvent
> circular build-dependencies?

You might be able to use alternative B-Ds:
Build-depend: foo | foo-minimal
but this only covers some cases.

In general we don't have a mechanism to do this _in the archive_ until
build-profiles are supported (or at least ignored by B-D parsing tools)

You can bootstrap happily using local builds and local tools that
support profile builds. Existing patches here:
http://people.debian.org/~wookey/bootstrap/patches/profiles/

Then just upload the final builds, and sources with the profile info
only encoded as comments.

> My concrete need is simpler than some, as it needs no special flags at
> build-time: I want librdf-trine-perl to enable most possible optional
> parts of its testsuite, including some parts which themselves
> build-depend on librdf-trine-perl.
>
> What I will do for now is to just add those extra build-dependencies and
> add a note to README.source which build-dependencies can be manually
> dropped in a custom bootstrap build.  I realize how painful it is for
> those needing to bootstrap, but sadly neither DebianBootstrap nor
> CircularBuildDependencies provide concrete help for package developers
> at the moment, it seems.

Agreed. And comments in the control file about this are _extremely_
helpful to people doping this work who are clueless about the details
of the package in question.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/