Re: Default desktop for jessie Was: Re: Debian/Wheezy general rant ...

On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 08:11:49PM +0200, Bjoern Meier wrote:
[...]
> Ok, an example. my Girlfriend was really pissed of Win8. She hate it
> (for good reasons). She came to me and asked:"Can you show me Linux
> and how it works?". I sweat blood, but I took my honor.
> After a successful install she said:"That's not Linux. The button on
> the left has no K."
[...]

This is a good example of why providing choices can be unhelpful.  If
someone doesn't know that there are multiple desktop environments
available and what the differences are, how will they choose when
prompted to do so?  Maybe they will go and do the research when they
reach that point in the installer, or maybe they will try a different
distribution whose installer JFDI.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings