Debian/Wheezy general rant Was: mount point gets "(deleted)" / unable to unmount

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 12:10:11PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Florian,

> well, this could be related to Wheezy, or to you, or to the people you've been
> talking with, or something else, or a combination...
>
> I've switched 3 users from Squeeze to Wheezy in the last 2 weeks, and also to
> Gnome 3 btw, and they all *love* it. And I also must say, I'm quite impressed,
> Debian on the desktop has come a long way. So, IOW YMMV.

We are 4 people in the room and we all hate Gnome3. KDE is too bloated
and xfce4 is too minimal. We all switched away from gnome-terminal to
roxterm as gnome-terminal is full of resizing bugs.

Multihead in Gnome3 is broken to no return. Backdrop image/gradient
resizing/zooming is broken if different resolution heads.

~/.config/monitors.xml is nice but does not work at all - so you need
to set your primary screen (in case its the external one)
EVERY SINGLE TIME you plug in a monitor. If you do this the icons
you have on your desktop partially disappear to anywhere away from
the visible area. There is no way to get them back. So using nautilus
to manage your backdrop window is unusable. cairo-dock does not
detect primary screen change so needs to be killed and restarted.

Lets not begin talking about the systray stuff and all people
complainig about not beeing able to see pidgins icon anymore and though
missing messages.

This has all been working in gnome2/squeeze and simple stopped working
and people try to convince me and others that Gnome3 is the best since
sliced bread. Its NOT !

Gnome3 is a huge step back for my productivity. It might be the right
thing for the swipe-zoom-multitouch-facebook kids of today who cant
differentiate between running application and launcher buttons.
I am a technical guy - if i press on a launcher button i meant to
get a new instance of the application and not help to find my
application on the 8 viewports - i know how to use alt-tab.

Automounting usb sticks is a nice thing but why on earth does the popup
on the bottom of the screen not disappear after some time?  No thanks i
dont want nautilus but the 2 options are "Open with Files" or "Eject" -
None of them -  I want you to shut up and close the popup. There is no
close icon - so you klick into the popup somewhere not hitting the 2
options and it disappears - WTF?!?!?

And then we have a bunch of Kernel thermal issues which every second day
or so cause reboots an hour into the day because of CPU overheat issues
after resume.

Suspend/Resume issues because of the above nfs/cifs issues - so for
some random issues my suspend hangs every 3rd day so i end up with
a overly hot and empty notebook when i am home. Squeeze suspended
reliably for years - I NEVER had to look after it.

And now i am searching for a keyboard setup preseeding issue for the
autoinstall infrastructure we have. It seems its completely broken,
at least i have after 3 days not found a deterministic way of preseeding
a de-latin1-nodeadkeys for console and X.

For me wheezy is the worst of all Debian release i have been
using since bo.

Yes - Debian came a long way for Linux on the Desktop - but Wheezy is
2 steps back then Squeenze was.

And yes i know - i can switch to $software for any random issue and
fix it - but this is more or less a basic Debian/Gnome3 installation
and my user experience not so positive.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f@zz.de