Re: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 02:28:23PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org> writes:
>
> > FWIW, I've done ABI-incompatible uploads of perl to experimental in the
> > past without changing the perlapi-* virtual package name or the libperl
> > SONAME.  The aim was to experiment with different configuration options,
> > particularly 64-bit integers and 128-bit long doubles.
>
> > I certainly didn't support upgrades from those versions to the same
> > extent as I'd have done for unstable. OTOH, the packages were pretty
> > close to uninstallable on any non-minimal systems anyway, as we didn't
> > offer corresponding rebuilt XS modules in experimental.
>
> Oh, that's a good point.  Yes, I hadn't thought about that specific case
> for testing ABI breakage in experimental.

But then that simply is a broken upload. It will break horribly if you
install the experimental perl but keep other perl packages from sid.
You should have set the perlapi-* to include -experimental or
something to make it differ from sid. Having the perlapi-* provides
and depends makes this simple.

Imho experimental packages should be made with the hope that they
could enter sid in the future. Sure they are for experimenting. But
say the experiment is successfull shouldn't the package go to sid? If
you have to redesign them at that point you will just introduce new
bugs at that point and restart the testing process again.

But that might just be me.

MfG
	Goswin