Re: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 09:50:23AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> writes:
>
> > and upgrade from an experimental package is not supported (it generally
> > works, but the maintainer doesn't have to take that into account).
>
> This is a bizarre statement to me.  Why would you not take that into
> account as a maintainer?  I always have for everything I've uploaded to
> experimental.

FWIW, I've done ABI-incompatible uploads of perl to experimental in the
past without changing the perlapi-* virtual package name or the libperl
SONAME.  The aim was to experiment with different configuration options,
particularly 64-bit integers and 128-bit long doubles.

I certainly didn't support upgrades from those versions to the same
extent as I'd have done for unstable. OTOH, the packages were pretty
close to uninstallable on any non-minimal systems anyway, as we didn't
offer corresponding rebuilt XS modules in experimental.
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org