Re: NEW processing during freezes (Was: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R)

On 04/02/2013 12:16 AM, Luca Falavigna wrote:
> In a perfect world there wouldn't be any need for a NEW queue at all.
> But we have to face with the reality.
> We try to do our best to improve things where we can. From the FTP
> Team side, we always try to be quick and helpful with our fellow
> developers, and are happy to hear about suggestions how to improve
> further.
I got a bunch of suggestions...

Suggestion #1: if a package stays more than a month in the NEW
queue, then it gets automatically approved, and may be
reviewed later on. My reasoning is that more than a month,
it can become really problematic and blocks development.

Suggestion #2: get rid of the new binary queue (not new source
package, that's different). There's no reason why the licensing
of a package changes just because the maintainer decides to add
a new binary, so it makes no sense. This would save a lot of
time for the FTP team.

Suggestion #3: have a system where any other DD can review
a package in the NEW queue, not only the FTP masters or the
FTP assistants.

Suggestion #4: recognized that the FTP team needs to work faster,
and get more people in the FTP team.

Suggestion #5: make it so that a bunch of packages can be
reviewed together, as they might depend on each other, and we
would like to avoid cases where some packages are accepted, but
can't be installed because their dependencies are in NEW.

Suggestion #6: get rid of the NEW queue completely. I'm not
the only one that thinks it should be like that, and that the
licensing review process could happen after packages are
accepted. Maybe though, I'll be the only one saying it out
loud (but I'm getting used to it...).

Thomas