Re: Last call for pv-grub-menu.

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 12:11:23AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 09:17:58AM +0000, Ian Campbell a écrit :
> > Do you have a reference to the conversation you had with the grub(1,2)
> > maintainers? I don't see it in the pkg-grub-devel archives.
>
> Hi Ian,
>
> there was no conversation with the GRUB maintainers, however, they have seen
> http://bugs.debian.org/672104, which was a whishlist bug on GRUB2 before
> becoming an ITP.  I take their silence as an evidence for their lack of
> interest, which is totally justified.

Sorry I never responded to this.  I think it is probably true that we
have little interest in maintaining this as such, as part of our general
lack of interest in much more than bare-bones ongoing maintenance for
GRUB Legacy-related code (I have been doing some minimal amount of this
but it's really not anyone's focus), so I'm glad that you're doing so
and I support it being a separate package.

For what it's worth, we do now have a PV-GRUB2, thanks to considerable
work upstream; I recently uploaded a new version of grub2 to
experimental that ships a grub-xen-bin binary package with the raw
kernel and modules, and a skeletal grub-xen binary package which
currently does nothing of interest but will hopefully soon install a
loader in a conventional location within a domU that can be picked up by
a dom0.  grub-xen-bin can be made to work even now with some manual
assembly, so I'm happy that we have at least a proof of concept.

We're still fleshing out the details (see recent threads on grub-devel),
and I need to write up a proper boot protocol for attention from
xen-devel, but I hope we can get to the point where it can even be
loaded by PV-GRUB1 with maybe just a simple shim menu.lst.  If we try
really hard we might even be able to have compatibility in the other
direction as well.

Obviously it will take some time to filter through everywhere, but I
rather hope that eventually both PV-GRUB1 and pv-grub-menu will be able
to die a natural death.  In the meantime it certainly serves a useful
purpose.