Re: .py suffixed scripts to /usr/bin/

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> Urgh. How about installing the .py to a private directory (under
> /usr/share say?) and creating non-suffixed symlinks in /usr/bin.

how that would help in case of a conflict with original MNE's binaries
becoming available/conflicting?

> You
> could document that the user could/should prefix the /usr/share dir
> in their $PATH if they need to rely on the .py names existing,

yeap -- I would need to patch their scripts since internally they use
each other... imho could introduce more pain than gain

> perhaps even provide a small helper script to support that if it is
> likely to be important. (assuming whatever might rely on the .py
> suffixes also relies on $PATH and doesn't hardcode
> /usr/bin/something.py in its entirety.)

actually that reminded me about a nice approach of having a
'gateway' tool which calls corresponding commands from its own private
folder, e.g. as git and others (e.g. cmtk) do.

Let me run this by developers ;)

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org