.py suffixed scripts to /usr/bin/

I am mentoring  packaging of https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python and
ATM their public python scripts (ATM 10 of them already) carry .py
suffix.  At first I blindly recommended to strip those off
(https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python/pull/865) but the problem is
that  there is a non-free original MNE which provides some of those
tools implemented in C.  Happen MNE gets freed (and packaged) or
otherwise installed -- there would be a conflict (command line interface
differs, alternatives is not the way).

So the easiest resolution is IMHO to maintain .py suffixes, but I feel
unease about such a solution despite archive having  a good number
of precedents already.

So the question is -- is there any other possible resolution I do not
see here besides just keeping .py suffixes and providing a lintian
override?

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org