Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

Op 30-10-13 23:09, Steve McIntyre schreef:
>> Having said that, I do think that providing a limited number of CD
>> install images is useful for those cases of retrocomputing where
>> installing off DVD is difficult. Other than that...
> So... In that situation, would you care about having more than just a
> netinst available for initial booting? Beyond that, people can get on
> the network to a mirror, or to other machines hosting the DVD images.
> I'm thinking we can cut down some more here. Maybe (as Steven
> suggested) we could keep a single bigger CD image around, but I'm not
> 100% convinced that it's likely to give us enough beyond the netinst
> to make me care about it. What else would we want/need on a CD to make
> it compelling here?

I think having a live-CD (if that is at all possible) might be useful
for those cases where you have an old system without DVD that doesn't
boot anymore. This doesn't need a full desktop environment, just a shell
with some utilities should do.

I don't think you'd necessarily need more than the netinst CD for
installation, either; but then, if you're going to write a CD image
anyway, why not write the full one rather than waste a CD to half an
image -- so I think having one 650MB image might be useful; I would
suggest adding packages that have a high popcon rating, without
necessarily trying to fit any kind of desktop environment on there.

As an aside, it might be sensible to add a link to the two netboot
"mini.iso" images which are found in the d-i FTP area for people to use,
too; these contain just the booloader plus its configuration, a kernel
and an initrd, and downloads everything else off the net. It is
therefore even smaller than the netboot one (on amd64/sid currently 23M
for the plain one, 30M for the GTK one), and is what I commonly use when
I need an installer medium and PXE won't work.

This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/