Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:44:48PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Andy Cater wrote:
> >
> >I think it would be a good idea to have the netinst have an
> >additional option to select desktop easily including the option for
> >"command line only, no graphical desktop" as default.
>
> We already have that option right now - in fact, you can deselect the
> "graphical desktop" task readily tasksel from any of the installation
> media and just get a simple command line system. Or are you
> specifically asking for such an option directly on the isolinux/grub
> installer boot screen?

That wouldbe my preference - a tasksel change for "no desktop" "KDE" "GNOME"
"LXDE" XFCE" etc. for the netinst - default being no desktop - ideal for a minimum
install.

> <snip>
>
> Yes, it can. It should contain enough of the packages needed to be
> able to support all 4 of the recognised DEs. However, at current rates
> it won't take long for them to outgrow the 4GB of space available!

Now that USB sticks at 16/32GB are (relatively) cheap - it is actually a much better
bet to install the Blu-Ray .iso image in the same way :)

Thanks for reading,

All the best - hope to get myself sorted to come to the mini-Debconf in November -
see you then,

AndyC