Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

Joey Hess wrote:
>Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> This goes back to during the wheezy release cycle. There was a little
>> discussion around a change in tasksel [1], but rather too late in the
>> day for the change to make sense. Now we have rather more time, I
>> feel. Let's change the default desktop for installation to xfce.
>
>So, I wish that wheezy had shipped with xfce as the default. It was the
>better choice of the options we had (although possbly kde would have
>been a good choice too).

Right.

>Anyway, at the moment I don't know which is the right choice for jessie.
>There is a full year for gnome to be improved, and it could easily be
>a better experience for users at that point. I would not be opposed to
>changing the default for xfce for now, and reverting it if gnome's
>improvements make it a better choice.

OK. I suggest that we *try* that for now. I'm also suggesting that we
drop our CDs soon, *except* for keeping the netinst around. Unless we
get a lot of feedback from people asking explicitly for full CD sets,
I'm more convinced than ever that we can just drop them.

>I do wish that some of the .. energy .. seen in these threads could be
>used for something more interesting. For example, find a way to detect
>touch screen systems, on which xfce is *not* pleasant, and don't install
>a desktop task there, but a separate task with whichever UI is currently
>best suited for tablets.

OK... :-)

>>  * Tweak CD and installer builds:
>>    + change what happens with no desktop selected to use xfce instead
>>      of Gnome (netinst, DVD, BD etc.)
>
>The tasksel change handles that.

Almost all of it. debian-cd/tools/update_tasks will also need some
simple tweaks. At the moment, for example, a generic build implies
task-gnome-desktop, and that would need changing.

>>    + Add an explicitly-named Gnome CD#1
>>    + Remove the explicitly-named XFCE CD#1
>
>You might consider making the default CD be a symlink to the explicitly
>named desktop CD.

If we keep them, sure.

Support the Campaign for Audiovisual Free Expression: http://www.eff.org/cafe/