Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 03:19:30PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> > Is there one in Debian?

> > Equally, is there genuine support for tablets within Debian beyond the
> > problems with GUIs and touchscreens? I'm not aware of anything
> > approaching usable GUI support, even discounting touch.

> I know that multiple desktop projects are interested in making the leap,
> so it makes sense to plan accordingly. I doubt xfce would be the first
> to get there. I also wonder why unity is not being packaged in Debian..

It's a rapidly-moving stack with a complex set of interdependencies, and
would be hard for one person to stay on top of.  I think it would need a
team to maintain it, and someone to get the ball rolling on such a team.

If someone is interested in maintaining Unity in Debian, I would be happy to
help figure out how Debian could leverage the existing CI infrastructure
that's in place for these packages in Ubuntu.