Re: Proposal: let’s have a GR about the init system

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013, at 18:09, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Bastien beudart <bastienbeudart@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > It seems that the tech committee is composed of two well known ubuntu
> > > developers.  Isn't that biased? I mean do you see them voting against
> > > upstart, I know that the decision should be based around technical
> > > facts, but that is not in their interest to vote against their project,
> > > especially since canonical is isolating itself from the rest of the
> > > community, so having Debian support is, I guess, really important, so…
> >
> > Steve and Colin have both been Debian developers for a lot longer than
> > they've been Ubuntu developers.  I would indeed be surprised to see Steve
> > vote against upstart, but that would be on the basis of its technical
> > merits as he sees them and as he's made clear in various discussions over
> > the years.
>
> Steve Langasek has been consistently posting dishonest FUD against
> systemd. Maybe you could explain that as excessive zeal following from
> valid technical considerations, but I'd consider that an excessively
> charitable interpretation for a member of a body that is supposed to
> have public trust.

And I still trust him to either vote in the list with his best
conscience or to step down if he feels that he is unable to put away his
conflict of interest.

If we don't trust tech-ctte and their best judgement we have a bigger
problem than pity war about init system.

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>
Knot DNS (https://www.knot-dns.cz/) – a high-performance DNS server