Re: Propose Release Goals (delayed ;) - xz compression

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 03:33:42PM +0200, Marko Randjelovic wrote:
> > correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to me that xz compression has
> > become the default in dpkg. With that in mind, won't this issue come up
> > anyway? I mean, once a maintainer fixes a bug in a pckage and uplods it,
> > the binries ill get xz compression. So this issue is in no way specific
> > to making it a release goal.
>
> It's not only memory footprint. xz at default preset is more then 10 times slower when
> compressing then gzip and file is smaller <20%.

xz has slow compression, fast decompression.  You're not really going to
build packages on any box where compression speed is a blocker, and even if
you do, actually building the package will take a wolf share of the time.

On the other hand, quite a few users will _decompress_ stuff on terribly
underpowered boxes, and xz shines there.

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ