Re: Bits from the Release Team (Jessie freeze info)

On 2013-10-13 19:24, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi Niels,

Hi,

> First of all, thanks a lot for planning this well in advance. Much
> appreciated. This changes a lot compared to what happened in NYC! :)

You are welcome, :)

> On 10/13/2013 11:01 PM, Niels Thykier wrote:
>>
>> Freeze date and Freeze Policy for Jessie
>>
>> We are happy to announce that we will freeze Jessie at 23:59 UTC on
>> the 5th of November 2014.
>
> This date is surprising me. I thought we would have the same freeze date
> every 2 years, so I was expecting late June 2014, 2 years after the
> freeze of Wheezy. Wasn't this announced previously?

Personally, I backed a freeze in November 2014 because I wanted to aim
for a <= 2 year release cycle.  This (at most) 2-year estimate includes
an 18 month development period and a(n up to) 6 month freeze.
Obviously, if the freeze is shorter than 6 months, great!
  Having 2 years between every freeze date would make sense if we could
keep our freezes shorter than 6 months.  It could hopefully also
motivate people into making the freezes shorter (giving us a slightly
longer development cycle).
  But if our freezes are 10 months, then "2-years between freeze-dates"
leaves us with only 14 months of development.  Of which, the Release
Team would be spending 4-5 months recuperating from the last freeze
(based on the past year).

> Just right after Ubuntu had it's LTS out seemed to be a good moment. In
> fact, synchronizing the Debian freeze date with the Ubuntu LTS would
> have been even better, IMO (or the Ubuntu freeze date for the next LTS).

I think our first priority should be getting back in control of our
freezes and the length thereof.

> Why the 5th of November 2014? Why beginning of November? Why the 5th and
> not the 4th or 6th? In other words: what's the reasoning behind this date?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas

We picked the 5th over another date in November because it was believed
the 5th would be easier to remember[1].

~Niels

[1] I think the 5th of November is also "Gunpowder day" and also happens
to have a good simple mnemonic/rime:

"""
    Remember, remember
    the fifth of November
"""

(Not sure of the origins of the rime; I remember it being used in "V
from Vendetta" though.)