Re: trove is already a source package in Debian and a Python module in PyPi

On 10/01/2013 10:02 PM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 09:45:17PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Since I have already uploaded python-troveclient (currently waiting in
>> the FTP master's NEW queue), OpenStack troveclient will be in Sid, but
>> if some day, someone wants to upload TroveClient from
>> http://dev.yourtrove.com, then we have a problem.
> …
>> Is it too late to fix this?
>
> Ask ftp masters to reject the package and re-upload with the source
> package renamed to have an openstack prefix/suffix/infix.

Thanks but no thanks. I need to have the python namespace (eg, the
egg-info and such) to match the package name, otherwise there will be no
correct automatic ${python:Depends} substitution.

FYI, the message was more addressed to the OpenStack community, rather
than -devel...

On 10/01/2013 10:53 PM, Michael Basnight wrote:
> Well this sucks.

Indeed!

> Im not sure im a fan of renaming it because of the
> previous existence of a package.

Well, I wonder how the Trove name was chosen. Clearly, it was done
without any good policy in place.

> Renaming is not fun.

It sure isn't. Quantum -> Neutron was hell for everyone. Though luckily,
Trove isn't that big (yet).

> Ill let the more experienced openstack peoples help decide on this...

Same over here. Though for this not to happen again, I think the
OpenStack projects needs to set some rules for project name choice.

Thomas