Re: automake transition breakages

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> writes:
> Julian Taylor <jtaylor.debian@googlemail.com> (2013-09-30):

>> At minimum the packages using Werror should be test rebuilt before each
>> new upload:
>> http://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE.*-Werror

>> The list is small enough that it can be done by hand / small script.

> So that they stop using Werror? Good idea.

I use -Werror for Automake for all of the packages for which I'm upstream
and have not noticed it being a serious issue, although maybe I'm missing
something?  But I didn't have any trouble regenerating the files for my
various packages with Automake 1.14.

-Werror for a compiler is a bad idea for Debian packages because, unless
you do extensive portability testing, it's quite likely that there will be
warnings on some platform on which the code is not regularly tested but
which aren't serious issues.  Also, each new version of the compiler comes
with a ton of new warnings, most of which are not significant.

Automake, by comparison, runs the same on every host, so if you've fixed
the warnings on your local system, they're fixed everywhere.  And it has
considerably fewer warnings, and far fewer that are introduced in each new
version.