Re: Dreamhost dumps Debian

Pau Garcia i Quiles writes ("Re: Dreamhost dumps Debian"):
> [Ian Jackson]
> > The bigger problem for a Debian LTS is this: 1. who is going to do
> > security support for it ?
>
> The same people that maintain the packages in sid and stable: the
> maintainer(s) for each package. [...]

That is not the case.  At the moment most of this is done by the
Debian security team.  Of course some package maintainers do help.

>  For orphaned packages, NMUs by other
> developers or even a new maintainer team ("foster-carers@debian.org").
> Providing fixes, security or not, is our part of our duty as Debian
> developers. Sure, packaging new upstream versions is always more exciting
> than fixing a broken version/package but it needs to be done.

You seem to be saying "this is an important thing to do - will you
all please go and do it".

That's not how things work.  In summary, unless and until we have
people who volunteer to do the security support for an LTS, we won't
have an LTS.

Ian.