Re: Dreamhost dumps Debian

Excerpts from Vincent Bernat's message of 2013-08-19 14:12:25 -0700:
>  ❦ 19 août 2013 22:19 CEST, Clint Byrum <spamaps@debian.org> :
>
> >> Many people seem to justify a switch to Ubuntu LTS with the argument of
> >> 5-year security support. This support only applies for packages in
> >> main. A common example is nginx which is in universe. Packages in
> >> universe are just unsupported. They may or may not get any security
> >> support. If you need to advocate for Debian vs Ubuntu, I think this is a
> >> strong argument.
> >
> > Most places as large and tech-savvy as Dreamhost are happy to maintain
> > something at the core of their business like a webserver (i.e. nginx). It
> > is glibc, gcc, sshd, the kernel, bash, etc., that they don't want to
> > have to think about.
> >
> > The 2 year cadence has left users with very little time to actually
> > capitalize on their investment when upgrading. If one has 10 apps to
> > test and roll out on the new stable, and each app takes 1 month to get
> > there, and one starts immediately on release day, one now has 14 months
> > to recoup that time investment before one must start again. The only
> > real answer that makes sense is to continuously deploy on unstable,
> > but then you will suffer when a massive breaking transition begins.
> >
> > Those 5 year cycles just give users more cushion.
>
> Russ already replied and I agree with its reply. Just to say that Debian
> usually has a 3 year support. This is the kind of misguiding that I
> usually hear when people promotes Ubuntu over Debian.

My bad. It is misleading because I put the support cadence of Ubuntu in
a comparison with the development cadence of Debian (~2 years).

> > Also, if you're going to argue Debian vs. Ubuntu, you are going to argue
> > that volunteer maintainers on _all_ packages are more desirable than
> > paid maintainers on the core OS that you don't want to care about. I am
> > not sure that is an argument that I could win, but maybe you are more
> > persuasive than I am.
>
> Please, this is FUD. Stick to the facts. What core packages is of lesser
> quality in Debian than in Ubuntu?

I did not claim that there is less quality. I am claiming that I
personally cannot argue with a business that there is less risk.