Re: /etc/hosts and resolving of the local host/domainname - 127.0.0.1 vs. 127.0.1.1

]] Russ Allbery

> Matt Zagrabelny <mzagrabe@d.umn.edu> writes:
>
> > Does not the Wheezy installer still place hostname.domain.name entries
> > in /etc/hosts for said hostname?
>
> We (Stanford) strip them out in FAI.  We can, of course, continue to do
> that, but I thought I'd mention it as a data point.  If you have stable
> DNS, you really don't want to have another shadow source of IP to host
> mapping on local disk; it's almost certain to cause you problems later.

On most of my systems, I solve this by generating /etc/hosts from the
host's primary (from ohai's point of view, that is, the one that will be
picked for traffic sent to the default route) legacy IP address and IPv6
address.

There are of course many ways to skin the cat, this is just mine.  (And
it gives me best of both worlds.)

--
Tollef Fog Heen