Re: /etc/hosts and resolving of the local host/domainname - 127.0.0.1 vs. 127.0.1.1

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@scientia.net> writes:
>
>> - The system hostname (and domainname if any) should ALWAYS be
>> resolvable, whether a network is up or not, regardless of which.
>> (Assuming that lo is always up, if not, many things break anyway.)
>
> This principal (and the general UNIX tradition of putting the local host
> and IP address in /etc/hosts) has caused us no end of problems, since that
> information inevitably gets out of date when systems are moved around or
> re-IP'd.  We now do not put the local hostname anywhere in /etc/hosts, and
> I believe that's the correct configuration for any system with stable DNS
> and network.

Russ,

Does not the Wheezy installer still place hostname.domain.name entries
in /etc/hosts for said hostname?

Or do you mean some entity other than Debian when you say, "we", or is
"now" after the Wheezy release?

Cheers,

-mz