Re: how can we help DSA save money

On 2013-07-22 15:49, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> It's not, it's a limitation of resizing a raid and that requiring about
> a billion seeks across the disk surface.

I didn't realise it was hardware RAID.

If for example it is possible to create multiple, smaller hardware RAIDs
over time, then maybe all that is needed is a small code change to
snapshot.d.o to spread files across multiple mountpoints, which would
surely be worth it.

But it seems to me that software RAID, probably running free Debian
software, can someday reduce need of some hardware, if it were reliable,
performed well and could be managed easily.  (It seems DSA are now doing
this for compute resources, through OpenStack and ganeti).

I just like the idea that Debian can strive to develop such things for
its own infrastructure needs.  I think storage makes for a good
long-term project, but there may be others that could yield higher savings.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org