Re: how can we help DSA save money

]] Steven Chamberlain

> On 2013-07-22 14:50, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > There are practical problems with your suggestions, such as resizing the
> > RAID taking a very long time when we add a new disk (you're looking at
> > weeks of seriously reduced performance).
>
> That seems like a limitation of software, at one of the lower layers.

It's not, it's a limitation of resizing a raid and that requiring about
a billion seeks across the disk surface.

Also, the hardware that's going to be hosting the drives is an HP MSA,
so it's not a device where we can trivially change the software.

> I did not mention ZFS until now, because I didn't want limit anyone's
> thinking to filesystems.  But I did have it in mind all along.

That does not help with resizing the RAID, given it's a hardware RAID.

But again, feel free to suggest patches, the code that's driving
snapshot is all out there, afaik.

--
Tollef Fog Heen