Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

Le Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 04:18:17PM +0800, Thomas Goirand a écrit :

> If OpenRC goes up to the shape I expect, it will have a huge advantage
> over systemd and Upstart: it will not be controversial, throwing away
> non-Linux ports, and taking over the whole of the system. It will just
> be an improvement, and that's it.

Hi Thomas,

I am very surprised that you advocate the use of init scripts over
declarative systems such as Upstart or systemd.  On debian-cloud
we are just having a thread about the init-scripts of cloud-init,
which are being rewritten from scratch for Debian, because the ones
in the upstream sources "are for CentOS".

cloud-init-0.7.2 $ wc -l systemd/* upstart/* sysvinit/*
   17 systemd/cloud-config.service
   10 systemd/cloud-config.target
   17 systemd/cloud-final.service
   16 systemd/cloud-init-local.service
   17 systemd/cloud-init.service
    9 upstart/cloud-config.conf
   10 upstart/cloud-final.conf
    9 upstart/cloud-init.conf
   57 upstart/cloud-init-container.conf
    9 upstart/cloud-init-local.conf
   69 upstart/cloud-init-nonet.conf
   19 upstart/cloud-log-shutdown.conf
  121 sysvinit/cloud-config
  121 sysvinit/cloud-final
  121 sysvinit/cloud-init
  121 sysvinit/cloud-init-local

Doesn't that underline that "classical" init scripts are a big waste of time
for maintainers, and a workload that can not be shared between distributions ?

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan