Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 06:02:34PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> cloud-init-0.7.2 $ wc -l systemd/* upstart/* sysvinit/*
>    17 systemd/cloud-config.service
>    10 systemd/cloud-config.target
>    17 systemd/cloud-final.service
>    16 systemd/cloud-init-local.service
>    17 systemd/cloud-init.service
>     9 upstart/cloud-config.conf
>    10 upstart/cloud-final.conf
>     9 upstart/cloud-init.conf
>    57 upstart/cloud-init-container.conf
>     9 upstart/cloud-init-local.conf
>    69 upstart/cloud-init-nonet.conf
>    19 upstart/cloud-log-shutdown.conf
>   121 sysvinit/cloud-config
>   121 sysvinit/cloud-final
>   121 sysvinit/cloud-init
>   121 sysvinit/cloud-init-local
>
> Doesn't that underline that "classical" init scripts are a big waste of time
> for maintainers, and a workload that can not be shared between distributions ?

Not without knowing the specifics of why this package requires so many
separate scripts.  Normally I understood that systemd was more granular
than the corresponding init scripts, so would have more files in
general.  But without knowing more about what all those separate
scripts are doing and why, it's not possible to draw any useful
conclusion from these numbers.

Regards,
Roger

--