Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On Jul 14, Игорь Пашев <pashev.igor@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not to use different init systems on different kernels?
Because it would be stupid, since it requires either one of:
- implementing the equivalent of init scripts for each init system
- dumbing down the init systems to the lowest common denominator (and
  when you have sysvinit or OpenRC then it's quite low)

> Debian already supports 3 (three) init systems *at once*, sysvinit,
> upstart, systemd.
No, not really: Debian supports sysvinit and allows installing upstart
or systemd in a way that they will use the sysvinit init scripts. This
is not very useful (especially with upstart), because it does not bring
many improvements over sysvinit.
Then some people start duplicating in every package the init scripts for
upstart and systemd, which is a waste of time and adds code which cannot
be well tested.

--
ciao,
Marco