Re: boot ordering and resolvconf

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 12:38:24PM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> Don Armstrong wrote:
> >On Tue, 02 Jul 2013, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> >>Automatic processes overwrite explicit admin setups.

> >If /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink to somewhere else, then it's
> >appropriate for automatic processes to override it by writing to
> >"somewhere else". If it's not a symlink, then it shouldn't be
> >overridden.

> That seems pretty plain, but Ubuntu/Networkmanager routinely ignore this
> fact.

I'm not sure why you group Ubuntu and NetworkManager together here.  Ubuntu
has been using dnsmasq and resolvconf on the desktop (and resolvconf alone
on the server) since the 12.04 release specifically to provide a coherent
architecture and get away from NM's past bad behavior of changing files in
/etc out from under the admin.

  http://www.stgraber.org/2012/02/24/dns-in-ubuntu-12-04/

*By default*, all Ubuntu systems running a newer release will have
/etc/resolv.conf as a symlink to /run to ensure the system behaves sensibly
(correct DNS server settings with or without dnsmasq running; honoring DNS
server settings configured in /etc/network/interfaces; and so on).  But if
this symlink is really bothering you, you can make /etc/resolv.conf a real
file and resolvconf won't mess with it any further.