Re: 7.0-> 7.1: any reasons for switching from {4,5,6}.0.x scheme?

On Mon, June 17, 2013 18:03, Neil McGovern wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 05:17:32PM +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
>> Re: Neil McGovern 2013-06-17 <[🔎] 20130617111457.GG22521@halon.org.uk>
>> > Given that the middle '0' was redundant, and we now do X.0 for all
>> > major releases, it was simply removed.
>> #712586
> So... why is postgres relying on an undocumented numbering schema, and
> breaking when it doesn't match what it expects?

Call it "undocumented" if you will, it is one of the prominent identifiers
of a Debian release and doesn't explain to me why this change couldn't
have been announced on d-d-a beforehand so people could adapt. The change
was also omitted from the point release announcement.

Our users have learned to understand that 3.0.0r1 means a point release.
This was changed with Lenny, so they've now learned that 5.0.1 is a point
release. And with Wheezy they suddenly are confronted with 7.1, yet
another change, and which means something vastly different from what 3.1
meant to them.

To add to the confusion the Release Team refers to Wheezy as "7.0" and
Jessie as "8.0". So 8.1 may or may not be "Jessie"? Who knows.

I'm really not sure what it buys us to change the scheme twice in the span
of four releases. For now I see churn in packages and confusion with our
users.

Cheers,
Thijs