Re: default MTA

Le 17/06/2013 06:12, Bob Proulx a écrit :
> David Weinehall wrote:
>> Bjørn Mork wrote:
>>> The issue that worries me most about these desktop notification plans is
>>> the possibility that some package may decide to unnecessarily drop
>>> support for non-desktop systems, adding dependencies on the desktop
>>> notification system. I believe we already have had a few examples of
>>> such unnecessary dependencies on services which are "nice to have", like
>>> GNOME depending on NetworkManager for example.
>>
>> I'm having a hard time understanding this particular gripe.  If you're
>> running a non-desktop system (by this I take it to mean that you're not
>> using a GUI), why would you worry about GNOME's dependencies anyhow?
>
> Here is an example: The emacs24-nox package, a typical headless server
> package for many of us, depends upon dbus.  Feature creep.

Putting emacs (which I use as my primary editor) and feature creep in
the same sentence is quite funny:

"You are at a dead end of a dirt road.  The road goes to the east.
In the distance you can see that it will eventually fork off.  The
trees here are very tall royal palms, and they are spaced equidistant
from each other.
There is a shovel here."

Please remarke that there is libasound2 in there, too. I can see why
notifications (and not desktop notifications) are useful on a headless
server. Much less for sound.

Sincerly,
--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq