Re: libnss consolidation

Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> writes:

> On 31 May 2013 20:19, Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Gnutls is really crappy about suid
>> see http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/03/msg00298.html
>

> 2+ years later or 2 Debian releases later, I would have hoped these issues
> would be, somehow, magically, fixed by now :-(
>
> Basically makes libpam-ldap + TLS broken with certain programs.
>
> libnss-ldap is probably also broken, but seems you should be using
> libnss-ldapd these days which may (?) avoid these problems.

Yes, libpam-ldapd does avoid this problem. The ldap connections are
managed by a separate daemon (nslcd) that runs as a limited user account
and isn't suid. The pam (and nss) modules then contact this daemon via a
socket to run ldap queries. In addition to avoiding the gnutls bugs this
brings better latency and connection pooling (with libnss-ldap one needs
an ldap connection per nss using process, these pile up quite fast
indeed).

--
Arto Jantunen