Re: DebianBootstrap supported in which Debian suites?

Hi Johannes.

[debian-devel@d.o cc'ed - seems it was dropped accidentally]

Quoting Johannes Schauer (2013-06-08 12:57:01)
> Hi,
>
> I'm the author of botch (the debian bootstrap tool) so I'm interested
> in the librdf-trine-perl situation.
>
> Quoting Jonas Smedegaard (2013-06-08 12:21:18)
> > Here's what I just now added to README.source of librdf-trine-perl:
> >
> > > Circular build-dependencies
> > > ---------------------
> > >
> > > This package is problematic to bootstrap, as some of the declared
> > > build-dependencies cause bootstrapping loops.
>
> Botch does not list librdf-trine-perl to be involved in any dependency
> cycles.
> Can you tell me which ones you mean specifically?

Don't worry - your tool didn't miss something: I introduce _new_ loops.

librdf-trine-perl has an extensive testsuite, and as is common for Perl
libraries parts of the testsuite is gracefully skipped if the needed
libraries are unavailable.

Until now I avoided loops by simply not build-depending on three
libraries that themselves build-depend on librdf-trine-perl for their
own testsuite (where it is mandatory for running the testsuite at all):

  librdf-rdfa-parser-perl
  librdf-query-perl
  librdf-trine-node-literal-xml-perl

The change made to librdf-trine-perl today enables more of its testsuite
and still supports bootstrapping, but now requiring bootstrappers to
jumb through a few custom hoops.  I would have appreciated to use some
common pattern to avoid bootstrappers needing too much custom tinkering,
but unfortunately that seems still needed.  I have subscribed to those
wiki pages and intend to update when some common pattern emerge.

I will most likely introduce even more similar loops, now that I have
decided on a pattern for handling it.  Looking forward to updates to the
CircularDependencies wiki page :-)

 - Jonas