Re: systemd .service file conversion

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 06:12:38PM +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> That doesn't mean the toys are not important (...all work and no
> play...), they are, but they must not stop the inovation. And as we
> have sacrificed niche architecture and made them non-release, we must
> be also prepared to do the same with non-linux kernels if we have to.

With regard to innovation, FreeBSD has had integration between traffic
control and the firewall in pf for a long time.  Linux still requires
that you assign arbitrary integers as markers and keep them in sync
between two different sets of configuration files, and I have never seen
a tool to handle this automatically.  pf also has had passive OS
fingerprinting far longer than Linux has, and it is well-documented and
works almost out of the box, unlike iptables on Linux.

I would argue that the FreeBSD (and originally, OpenBSD) kernels are far
more innovative (and far easier to use) in this respect.