Re: Debian systemd survey

Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

>> Using an imperative language for a descriptive purpose is a bad
>> mismatch of tools and has been ever since the practical effect of init
>> scripts has become fairly standardized.

> Some init scripts in Debian build dynamic configuration before the
> daemon is started. It has grown to be an important part of conffile and
> configuration management for software that cannot by itself read its
> configuration in snippets from a foo.conf.d directory.

> I am not sure how we would handle that in a "descriptive" approach.

Get rid of some of that complexity because it is pointless (you'll find
that much of it is working around inadequacies in sysvinit).  Get rid of
more of it by building a static configuration from the dynamic
configuration when it changes, where appropriate.  For the rest, escape
out to an imperative language to do that work.  Something that upstart
certainly supports, and that I believe systemd does as well.